29 October 2012
PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (The National, Oct. 29, 2012) – Opposition Leader Belden Namah has voiced strong opposition to seabed mining in the country.
“We again tell the government that we are totally against the Nautilus seabed mining in the country,” Namah said.
“It has serious implications that the government didn’t consider when it gave licence to the developer.”
He said there was no proper feasibility studies carried out prior to licensing of the company. Read more
The Sea Bed Mining issue came up again, this time during questions in Parliament yesterday. The questions centred on the negative impacts, this project may have on the environment. For answers, views and comments, the Department of Environment and Conservation will host a forum in the coming months.
Cecilia Jamasmie | October 24, 2012
Canada-based Nautilus Minerals Inc. (TSX&LON:NUS) sank to fresh lows Wednesday in London, falling almost 5%, hit by the news of a Papua New Guinea’s landowners petition to the Government to cancel the firm’s seabed mining permit.
The company, the first to explore the ocean floor for polymetallic massive sulphide deposits, was granted a mining lease by the PNG authorities in January 2011, following the environmental permit award in December 2009. Read more
Below is the speech presented by Mr. Oigen Schulze, team leader of New Ireland-based NGO, Zero Inc. He states the position of people in his West Coast New Ireland community. This speech was presented on the 23rd of October at the Holiday Inn, where 24,000 signatures against experimental sea bed mining were presented to Hon. Gary Juffa, Oro Governor and Hon. Byron Chan, Minister for Mining.Read more
| Vicky Validakis
Locals in Papua New Guinea have petitioned the government to stop a seabed mining project along the nation’s coast.
A petition with 24,000 signatures was given to Mining Minister Byron Chan yesterday, stating that residents of Madang, Oro and New Britain provinces do not want the project in PNG’s Bismarck Sea to go ahead. Read more
23 October 2012 LANDOWNERS in Papua New Guinea have petitioned the government to halt a controversial seabed mining project along the nation’s coast.
Mining Minister Byron Chan on Tuesday was handed a petition with 24,000 signatures from residents of Madang, Oro and New Britain provinces who say they do not want Canadian-owned Nautilus Minerals’ Solwara 1 project in PNG’s Bismarck Sea to go ahead.
The project is the first of its kind in the world and will see minerals – mostly copper and gold – extracted from the ocean floor.
Residents from provinces around the Bismark Sea say fish have been turning up dead on their beaches and the water has been polluted by exploration works.
“What guarantees do we have that the explorations going on are not disturbing our eco-system from the sea floor and up?” New Ireland resident Oigen Schulze said. Read more
23 October 2012
A petition containing twenty four thousand signatures to stop the Solwara-1 deep-sea mining project was handed over to the government on Tuseday 23 October 2012
24 October 2012
Landowners in Papua New Guinea have presented a petition to the government calling for a controversial plan to mine the seabed to be stopped.
A petition with more than 20,000 signatures has been given to the Mining Minister Byron Chan by residents from the provinces of Madang, Oro and New Britain.
Last year, the Canadian company Nautilus Minerals was granted a 20-year permit by the government of Sir Michael Somare to mine an area in the Bismarck Sea to a depth of 1.6 kilometres.
The plan to mine gold and copper on the sea floor is the first of its kind in the world.
But residents say they have seen dead fish washing up on beaches and that the water has been polluted by the exploration work.
The new PNG government, led by Peter O’Neill, is reportedly challenging the deal and wants to make a number of amendments.